Model United Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model United Nations

Pan American School of Bahia- Salvador

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good Luck!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Silvia_SantosPereira

Good Luck! Empty
PostSubject: Good Luck!   Good Luck! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Dearest delegates of the Pan American School of Bahia, American School of Recife, American School of Belo Horizonte, and the British School of Rio de Janeiro,

It is with great honor that I wish you all good luck in the upcoming days of Model United Nations. I have always truly appreciated this event and the level of organization and time that is put in it by your peers and coordinating teachers. I was looking and msn messenger list today and could not help but notice that almost every single PASB contact had something regarding MUN on their display names (so if you’re clapping your hands now, don’t worry – you’ll be fine =)). This is a simple, but nevertheless profound example of how this traditional school-event reaches us at a different level.

The United Nations embodies the ideal of greater global cooperation and interaction between nations in order to solve existing problems peacefully as well as to establish a stronger bond between different peoples and cultures. This attempt to accomplish greater progress and collaboration in the world is a noble and admirable endeavor especially because it is so pragmatic. MUN is a time where you guys, delegates, have a chance to embrace it and let it bring greater knowledge and comprehension of global issues and conflicts to you.

I asked my sister, this year’s delegate of Georgia, to send me the opening speech that I delivered at the opening of our MUN because I wanted to copy-paste a segment of advice that I hope will help those who need it - a nervous and anxious freshman, an excited sophomore, or even a prepared and experienced junior. I know that there are those who are glad MUN has finally arrived and there are others that wish that these four days would just pass with the blink of an eye. Those of you who are dreading MUN even before it has started, don’t. Truly believe that there is nothing to be desperately afraid of; try your best and if you make a mistake just remember that everyone – everyone – already has committed a mistake before. Try to speak as much as you can. That first point of information you give is tricky; try to do it as early as possible and you will soon get rid of it. If you need, ask a simple question about one of the clauses and its meaning or relevance. After you do it once, it will all get smoother. Remember to use parliamentary procedure to work for you. Some of you may doubt it, but that big boring packet is very useful and might save you from some tricky situations. If you are in doubt of your country’s position or if you are feeling quite lost, make a motion to approach your caucus leader and ask them for help – asking for help or advice from myself, caucus leaders, and teachers or from other experienced students is perfectly fine, absolutely normal. If someone asks you a point of information and you haven’t yet figured out how to answer it, ask for a point o personal privilege even though you heard and understood every syllable the delegate uttered. It is okay to be smart, especially in a situation where you know everyone wants to look good.

I hope all of you can make the most of MUN and, after it is all over (if you are sad or relieved), take a minute to thank your leadership council and your teachers who have, undoubtedly, worked really hard to proportionate this event and to guide you through it.
Have fun,
Silvia
Back to top Go down

Good Luck!
Page 1 of 1