Model United Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model United Nations

Pan American School of Bahia- Salvador

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent

Go down 
+7
Georgia_Luisa
SecretaryGeneral_Pedro
Felipe_South Africa
USA_Ana
Colombia_Lucas
france_natalia
Russia_Will
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
france_natalia

[b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Dearest Iranian delegate,
First of all…it is important to remember that the issue at hand is the South Ossetia and Abkhazia and just as you have previously told the Colombian delegate: “So, let us not blame the Colombian delegate from going off topic only to accuse the humble Islamic Republic of Iran.” It seems that the Iranian delegate can't stay on topic as well…
Delegate remember: “If you are talking about soccer, you wont mention volley, not because you forgot it, but because you were talking about something else|” It is just very funny how the Iranian delegate when running out of arguments always goes back to history book…
It seems delegate, that you must have misunderstood your history book this time…The delegate may not be aware of but the NPT was only created in 1968!! And such ridiculous accusations of France, are dated prior to 1968, in the 1950’s! Therefore delegate, I am sorry to inform but France has NOT violated the NPT. As for Iran, I am sorry but I can’t affirm the same. Wasn’t Iran the one who rejected IAEA inspections? And wait a minute…Wasn’t the Iranian president who said he wanted to “ blow Israel off the map” ?
So delegate, think twice before pointing fingers at France, for look who' s speaking!
Now that everything has been cleared up, lets go back to topic which is South Ossetia and Abkhazia ok?…
Merci et besous

p.s : He merely forgot to check his info Wink

Last edited by france_natalia on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SecretaryGeneral_Pedro

SecretaryGeneral_Pedro

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Delegates, it would be delightful if we could all stay on topic here!
Anything not relevant to the topic, should be discussed in another topic, where it would be more relevant. If there is none feel free to create!
CHEERS
Back to top Go down
Russia_Will

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 4:25 pm

how can the delegates state their is no similarity between Kosovo's , South Ossetia's and Abkhazia's independence?

If the world was willing to adopt the principal of self determination as their primary argument for Kosovo’s independence, it is South Ossetia and Abkhazia’s RIGHT to demand the same.

my fellow delegates, 99% of the population of South Ossetia has voted in favor of their independence.
Back to top Go down
Iran_Vinny

Iran_Vinny

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Mademoiselle Déleguée Française,

I beg your pardon for the lack of clarity from my previous statement when I mentioned France's irresponsible actions that helped Israel build its "secret" nuclear program. Please further excuse the Iranian belief that history tells us who we are and where we are going - we are proud of our history, but we understand that France may have plenty fo reasons not be proud of hers. Iran subscribes to the idea that, regardless of the inexistence of the NPT in the early 1960's, France nonetheless betrayed the international community's trust (especially that of Norway, which sold heavy water to France under the condition that it could not be transferred to a third country). And here I quote the great Islamic leader Gamal Abdel Nasser about the circumstances prior to the establishment of the NPT: "basically they did whatever they wanted to do before the introduction of NPT and then devised it to prevent others from doing what they had themselves been doing before". So, if the absence of a treaty such as the NPT is to be an excuse for the breaching of bilateral agreements such as that with Norway to benefit a belligerent, illegitimate, quasi-nation like Israel, then Iran does not know why France even bothered to sign the NPT when it did come.

But now let us follow the wise words of the Secretary-General and turn to the matter of South Ossetia, and Abkhazia, and Kosovo. Yes, Kosovo must be discussed together with the two Caucasian countries. Not only has it set a precedent for the recognition of national sovereignty (which the U.S. and France are supposedly favor), but it is also an irrefutable proof of that Western policy - a buffer against American double-standards. Taking advantage of the Déleguée Française's witty analogy with sports, one cannot change the rules in the middle of the game! That lesson should be clearly engraved within our hearts. The U.S. supported Kosovo's sovereignty. France did the same. To deny South Ossetia and Abkhazia equal rights under international standards is to make it clear that this Council is no longer credible.

Iran has spoken.

P.S.: For further support of those arguments, see Russia's posts. Delegate of Russia, I'm glad to see that we are of a similar position.
Back to top Go down
China_Bia

China_Bia

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 5:11 am

China would just like to pose its position towards the conflict regarding Georgia, South Ossetia and Abkazia. We believe that no unilateral decisions should be taken, in fact, we condemn the nations who have agreed in the independence of Kosovo, as well as Russia, who has invaded Georgia. Even though the forms of government are completely different in Georgia and Kosovo, the situations in hand are very similar, as stated by the delegates of Iran and Russia. The UN has been " in charge" of Kosovo for 7 years, fighting to reestablish peace and security. In both situations, there should be talks between the countries within the area, in order to mutually decide the situation in future hand. How can the USA, Frace, Colombia, etc. accept kosovo as independent, this would only adhere to more poverty and conflicts within the region?
Back to top Go down
USA_Ana

USA_Ana

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 5:19 am

Not only did "US, France, Colombia, etc." recoginze Kosovo as independent. Kosovo’s independence is recognized by 46 countries.
How many recognized South Ossetia and Abkhazia? Quite a contrast, the United States must say. The situations can't be that similar then, can they?
Back to top Go down
China_Bia

China_Bia

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 5:29 am

Dear USA the delegation of China does not mean to compare the number of countries which have accepted Kosovo´s independece. You must have misunderstodd that China's point is regardind unilateral decisions, which by all means should ba erradicated. Off course the USA would not agree with that, Iraq? Afgh? ...mutual decisions? believe not!
Back to top Go down
france_natalia

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 6:35 am

Delegate of Iran, it is ok to be wrong sometimes...

So now going back to the topic in hand, and with no further a due, France would once more go back to its initial points. We believe that the international community must mantain an open mind when regarding the self-determiantion vs. territorial integrity debate. It is important to analyze each situation, for each are very different. Indeed they have some similarities, but what is important is their dissimilarities, and that is what makes France position differ form Kosovo and Georgia. France can and will show their differences, but let's wait until the real debate Wink
Just to get started...was Slobodan Milošević a fair and democratic president?...
merci ,
Déleguée Française

Last edited by france_natalia on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Georgia_Luisa

Georgia_Luisa

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 7:46 am

Iran_Vinny:"That should make one wonder how any group of people can simply stand by, watching its property be destroyed and stolen, and its youth be decimated by a government with illegitimate rights to that land."

Thank you, Iranian delegate, for making my point - I could not have done it better. How can Georgia simply watch Russian troops taking over its own territory and instigating anti-Georgian feelings into the regions? How can Georgia watch Russia grant passports to South Ossetians, providing them an easier way out of an underdeveloped economy? Furthermore, yes, delegate. You are absolutely right. Georgia is watching its sovereignty be destroyed, its youth be instigated against its own nation by a government with ILLEGITIMATE RIGHTS TO THAT LAND. By what right is it that Russia can simply invade a sovereign nation? By what right can Russia meddle with Georgian affairs? Well, I can answer that for you: none. There is no international organization that grants you this right, so before you start pointing your fingers at Georgia, make sure your hands are clean.

The Georgian delegation believes your speech to be truthfully erudite and congratulates you for your impecable eloquence, nevertheless, at this point, for the sake of the Georgian people, we must follow wise Henry David Thoreau's saying: simplify, simplify, simplify.
First of all, the referendum regarding South Ossetia's separation from Georgia did not include the 14,000 ethnic Georgians living in the breakaway statelet since for this referendum, one was only able to vote if she/he had a russian passport.
Yes, even if the ethnic Georgians were allowed to vote, the majority would be in favor of a separation. However, this unreasonable referendum would STILL not consider the 30,000 people who have been displaced from South Ossetia.

Gmadlobt,
The Georgian Delegate
Back to top Go down
Iran_Vinny

Iran_Vinny

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 7:49 am

It is obviously okay to be wrong sometimes - where would the world's greatest French-speaking nation be otherwise? But the delegate is obviously not listening to herself, as she continuously reaffirms that Kosovo, South Ossetia, and Abkhazia belong to distinct discussions. Of course there are particulars to each case, but the general, underlying issue is: Should the international deny oppressed groups the right to self-determination, or in other words, to sovereignty? The delegate of France fails to understand that one cannot separate the concept of territorial integrity from that of sovereignty - exactly as one cannot pretend that the issues surrounding Kosovo, South Ossetia, and Abkhazia do not overlap.

Sovereignty, dear delegates, is the one protection of a group's natural rights as defined by French and English philosophers, from Hobbes to Locke to Rousseau. Sovereignty, therefore, must take precedence over territorial integrity, as territorial integrity is included within the concept of sovereignty. We're not talking about Georgia's territorial integrity vs. South Ossetia and Abkhazia's sovereignty. We're talking about which should be supported: Georgia's or South Ossetia's and Abkhazia's rights to sovereignty? By supporting the sovereignty of the two nations, Georgia's will be encroached upon, and vice-versa.

Bearing in mind that stand-off, how can we direct our support at one country's or other's defense without losing this Council's credibility and lack of bias?

Simply by looking at each nation's implementation and application of sovereignty. Once in the early 1990's, and again last August, Georgia threatened South Ossetians' and Abkhazi's livelihoods. Georgia bombed entire South Ossetian villages, killed hundreds of citizens (that according to the government of Georgia should be called Georgians) by throwing cluster bombs into civilian shelters, looted cities, and outrageously broke the morale and breached the most basic rights of the South Ossetian people.

A people whose government breaks the social contract, destroying their property, robbing, and killing, has the right to revolt and create a new government that suits their needs and protects their rights. South Ossetians and Abkhazis have created a new government, have set up another Social Contract to avoid oppression, both ethnic and political, from Georgia. Milosevic turned out to be Kosovar's nemesis - Kosovo eventually declared independence, setting up a government that should serve them better. The U.S., France, and 46 other nations (is that right, France?) supported that "democratic" process. The U.S. did so itself in 1776. France did the same in 1789.

How can those countries now, come the time of South Ossetia's and Abkhazia's liberation and national birth, deny them the same due democratic process?

Answer me that.
Back to top Go down
Georgia_Luisa

Georgia_Luisa

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 am

Iranian delegate, if you are looking forward to reviewing the international community's entire historical background and trying to substantially apply measures taken back then to today's situation, we can do that.
Just say the word, and the Georgian delegate will be most delighted and yet, sad, to show you all of the atrocities committed by the USSR during the Stalin era.

Madlobt,
The Georgian Delegate
Back to top Go down
france_natalia

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 11:03 am

In response to your question, I refer back to what the american delegate has said, more than 46 countires have recognized Kosovo, however...who has actually recognized South Ossetia?
It is not about denying the " diplomatic process", it is about having common sense and understanding that Georgia has the right for sovereignty and integrity. France is aware of all the problems in hand, and that is why it has promoted peaceful talks between nations and searched for a peaceful solution.
Merci.

Last edited by france_natalia on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iran_Vinny

Iran_Vinny

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:26 pm

Horonable Secretary-General,

Despite believing that the delegate of France deserves an "informal warning" for so rudely responding to the accidental and truly naïve flirting by the Iranian delegate, I believe the debates are finally progressing towards a potential meaningful debate come the conference.

It will be great to sit around and happily chit-chat with my dear Georgian, French, and Colombian colleagues. Nonetheless, the delegate of Georgia's apparent ignorance of the true content of my posts alarms me, and I am compelled to, once again, go on and on about Iran's solid positions on the question of recognizing the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

First off, I would like to ask the Georgian delegate where in any of my posts I referred to Russia ever trying to breach Georgian sovereignty. Not only did I never mention Russia, but I also strictly pointed out that if conflict is taking its toll on Georgia and its people, that is only fruit of the genocidal greed that subverted Mr. Saakashvilli's administration into abandoning the path of democracy and tolerance and compelled him to launch an outrageous attack on South Ossetia in August.

If Georgia expected to kill South Ossetians and crash the will of that nation without an international response, that is Georgia's problem entirely. How could Russia stand by and watch Russians be mudered and stolen from by Georgian troops? If the West was too slow to act, we must now thank the Russians for coming in support of democracy, sovereingty, self-determination and human rights. Now we're talking about Russia. Now we're talking about the true facet of Georgia - one that walks side by side with genocide, and yet is protected from prosecution by its bigger friends, the bullies.

Iran will stand by the rights of the oppressed South Ossetians. Iran will do what reason (and very recent precedents) tells the U.S. and Europe should be doing. And if Iran must face a hostile council because of its utter belief in the sacredness of the rights of the individual to seek a better government when he is threatened by genocide, Iran will do so alongside the noble nations of Russia, Venezuela, China, and many other friends of multilateralism and diplomacy.
Back to top Go down
SecretaryGeneral_Pedro

SecretaryGeneral_Pedro

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:55 am

Delegate of Iran, dont worry, my previous post was an attempt to cool down the animosity. Of course the secretary general doesnt believe there is any type of flirting going around. I trust both Iran and France's professionalism. On the matter of the informal warning requested by yourself, I will have to analyze in more depth.
Back to top Go down
USA_Ana

USA_Ana

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 10:00 am

The US is curious, Russia.
The Russian delegate insists that South Ossetia and Kosovo are very similar. (Even though the differences are quite clear). So, if they are that similar, Russia, why does Russia insist that South Ossetia's independence is legal and Kosovo's is not?
Back to top Go down
Georgia_Luisa

Georgia_Luisa

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Iranian delegate, perhaps you were not able to understand what I meant. It is more than obvious that the Georgian delegate is aware of your position regarding this topic. What she meant was that the argument you use in your defense is, fundamentally, the one Georgia uses for reasoning its neglection towards the South Ossetian and Abkhazian independence. Although we share the same argument, it will be during the real debates where we will both have the opportunity to reveal our situations and settle whose argument is well-founded and not just a mere excuse to meddle within another country's affairs.
Thank you,
The Georgian Delegation
Back to top Go down
Iran_Marcos

Iran_Marcos

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Sorry, but the delegation of Iran in the security council is having a break, he will be back monday, maybe on sunday. Thank you. Any qurstion, DO NOT ask me, i have NO CLUE.
Back to top Go down
Felipe_South Africa

Felipe_South Africa

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 4:38 pm

Hello fellow delegates,

The delegate of South Africa has been seeing this debate for a while now and believes it is time to stress the need for countries to resolve this issue through negotiations. South Africa believes that a resort to the use of force diminishes the chance for a lasting solution and increases the suffering of all people involved. Hence, the delegate censures Russia’s attitude to unilaterally intervene in Georgia.

Wink
Back to top Go down
Iran_Vinny

Iran_Vinny

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Dear Georgian delegate,

The delegate of Iran understands your point of view. Indeed, it will be during the real debates that Georgia will have time and reason to explain its atrocities against South Ossetia, and its neglect of the Abkhaz rights. It will also be during that debate that Iran will praise the Georgian delegate for her honesty in denouncing her country's barbarous crimes against the South Ossetian people.

We thus have reason to be equally forward-looking for that day, at which points the delegate of Iran will be most happy to make the Georgian delegate's acquaintance after such rich and meaningful online debate!

My deepest compliments.
Back to top Go down
Russia_Will

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 5:35 am

Dear Delegates,
Russia's goal is to provide assistance to these regions. Russia came up with several plans in order for the transition to go as smooth and as peaceful as possible. Our priorities are to aid the wounded, Rebuild the damaged infrastructures caused by the conflicts, aid the governments in order for the economies to stabilize, deter renewed hostilities, demilitarize the region, establish a secure environment in which refugees and displaced people can return home in safety, ensure public safety and order and conduct border monitoring duties. With the help of the UN and the cooperation of the present nations, Russia is certain that South Ossetia and Abkhazia’s independence will bring peace and prosperity to the region.
Back to top Go down
Georgia_Luisa

Georgia_Luisa

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Fellow delegates, it all begins tomorrow!! The Georgian Delegate truthfully wishes all of you the best... let us be enlightened with great solutions to all unresolved issues, let us work towards international prosperation and let us be united!
Best Regards
Georgia
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent   [b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[b]Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2